Monday, September 05, 2005

My First Blog

For some reason I have been reluctant to the whole blogging phemonenon - I don't know whether it is because the trend seemed to take off the year I was out of work on leave, or if it just always seemed like an alternative Discussion Forum, or just something else that needs checking and maintaining. Nevertheless, I find it quite apropos that I have been initiated into the world of blogging through this course, "Learning, Instruction and Technology." I look forward to sharing ideas with a small group of fellow students as this semester's project unfolds.

My very preliminary thoughts on the project revolve around creating an intervention for students as they research for materials online. My focus group would be community college students - a little background...I am a faculty librarian at Tri-C (a community college), and I have been trying for roughly ten years to find the right tool or mechanism to teach students how to utilize electronic resources efficiently and effectively. The two areas to research that have come to mind are the effects of citation management systems on the creation of citations, and how to use technology to teach keyword/subject searching as well as the art of reading a citation to an article from a research database.

Thanks,

Nancy

1 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Nancy,
I share your and Karen's Blog aversion. I have to be cautious I don't turn it into an ordinary B-LOG- /journal as I fight the temptation regularly while "recording my research ideas"writing on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home